The attic space is one of the most common areas where mold and mildew thrive. Whenever you have a roof leak which triggers moisture build up in your attic, it creates a favorable environment for mold to grow. Since it’s difficult to access the attic, mold growth in these areas can go undisturbed for a long time.
It’s extremely important to have a professional roofer inspect your roof, including the attic space, annually to identify signs of roof leaks early and fix the problems before they trigger costly water damage and mold growth in your home. The charge for inspection is much less than costly repairs.
Causes of Mold Growth
Mold problems in any home are synonymous with moisture problems. Here are the most common causes of mold growth in the attic:
- Roof Issues/Leaks: Roof leaks often result in mold growth in small, localized areas of the attic near where the leak is coming from.
- Old shingles: Old, worn-out shingles can allow rainwater and other outside elements to penetrate the interior of your roof and trigger mold growth.
- Unrepaired damage: Even the tiniest leaks can gradually cause moisture buildup in your attic and result in rot and mold manifestation. Always schedule prompt repairs for any roof damage.
How to Prevent Mold Growth in the Attic
Practicing preventative maintenance is the most prudent way to keep your home free of mold. Mold typically grows within trapped spaces where moisture cannot escape, such as the attic. If you have a roof leak, indoor or outdoor air cannot reach the attic to dry the area. When left unchecked, mold can cause structural damage to your building, weakening your home and leading to rot and disintegration of the house.
Other than structural damage, mold spores often lead to breathing and respiratory complications, especially for people with allergies. Protect your health and property by preventing mold from growing in the first place.
Here a few tips to help you prevent mold growth:
- Schedule Periodic Inspections: Common roof issues can lead to leaks years before you even see the evidence. Roof leaks affect ceiling tiles, insulation, and much more by promoting mildew and mold. Having periodic inspections will help your roofer identify potential problem areas in your roof and fix them before they cause leaks.
- Quick Repairs: A reputable roofing expert will identify evidence of broken or damaged roofing materials to your attention and carry out repairs and replacements quickly to prevent leaks.
- Using the Right Roofing Materials: Eliminating roof leaks denies mold and mildew room to grow due to roofing problems. By using proper roofing materials, you can reduce or eliminate roof leaks.
The best way to prevent mold in the attic is to ensure the roof has proper exhaust ventilation.
Quick Intervention Prevents Permanent Damage
Whenever your roof sustains severe storm damage and exposes your home’s interior to moisture, you should seek help fast. You have just about 24-48 hours to dry the items exposed to moisture before mold begins to form. You should, therefore, call your roofer immediately to inspect the damage and recommend the best course of action to prevent further interior damage and health risks. Taking action quickly may prevent the need for mold abatement later.
Work with a Trusted Local Roofer!
If you live in Central Florida, you will appreciate building a rapport with a reputable, honest roofing contractor. Timely roof repairs will keep your home and family safe from roof leaks and mold growth. Alan’s Roofing experts are available when you need any roofing service or emergency storm damage repair. Contact us today to schedule your roof inspection!