Keeping your roof in good condition should be a priority for every homeowner in Central Florida. After all, your roof is your home’s first line of protection. Unfortunately, few people think about their roof unless it experiences serious damage which obviously needs to be addressed. Regular roof maintenance is critical to not just the existing condition of your roof, but its ability to hold up long into the future as well. Because of this, scheduling routine inspections and having regular maintenance performed on your roof is something you should do on a yearly basis at the very least.
The Benefits of Regular Roof Maintenance
Even if your roof appears to be in tip-top condition, you should still schedule routine roof maintenance. The following are a few reasons why your roof needs regular maintenance:
- Prevent major problems from developing – Big problems often develop out of smaller ones. When a professional contractor performs a thorough evaluation, they may find minor issues you didn’t realize you had. For example, a cracked shingle or a small leak near your flashing. Repairing such minor issues is important because if they aren’t addressed right away, they will only grow into bigger problems.
- Save money on repairs – Catching small problems early can end up saving you a significant amount of money. For example, if during a routine inspection a missing shingle is found, it can be replaced. If it wasn’t replaced, the shingles around it would be more vulnerable to being torn off by the wind. This leaves your roof exposed to potential water leaks and damage, which would cost you more money to fix.
- Improve the safety of your home – Homeowners aren’t always capable of identifying whether there’s a serious issue with their roof, such as if it needs to be replaced right away. During an inspection, a contractor can identify if your roof is structurally sound or if its integrity has been compromised and replacement is needed to keep your home safe.
- Prolong the lifespan of your roof – By having your roof inspected regularly over the years, it will remain in better overall condition. A roof kept in good shape is more likely to last for a longer period of time than one slowly being worn down by issues taking too long to address. Basically, the better you care for your roof, the longer it will last.
What Should Roof Maintenance Consist Of?
One thing to keep in mind is regular roof maintenance doesn’t just consist of scheduling a regular roof inspection. There are other maintenance tasks needed to be done to help keep your roof in good condition.
- Identify leaks – Leaks can be difficult to spot until they become quite serious. Once you have water stains appearing on your ceiling, you’ve probably experienced a serious leak. A professional contractor can identify even the smallest leaks and fix them before they lead to more serious water damage. However, you can still keep an eye out for any leaks by checking your attic on a regular basis.
- Repair damage – Damage, such as missing or broken shingles, may not seem like a big problem at first. However, they should be repaired right away to prevent them from becoming a bigger issue later on.
- Clean gutters – Gutters play an important role when it comes to preventing water damage to your home. Unfortunately, they can easily become clogged. Routine gutter cleaning is required to help keep your gutters from getting clogged with debris, such as dirt, leaves, and branches. If clogged, it can cause the gutters to overflow, resulting in leaks through your roof, exterior, or even your foundation. Installing gutter guards is a good alternative to having your gutters regularly cleaned as well since they eliminate clogging.
- Clean shingles – Your shingles do need to be cleaned from time to time. This is especially true if algae have begun to grow on your roof. By cleaning the shingles, you can rid them of the dark algae stains and keep them in the best condition possible.
The Importance of Working With a Trusted Contractor
When it comes to keeping your roof in good shape, it’s important you find a roofing contractor you can trust. Here at Alan’s Roofing, our highly skilled and experienced team has fostered a reputation as one of the most reliable roofers in Central Florida. We are also an Owens Corning Platinum Preferred contractor and a member of the National Roofing Contractor Association. We work closely with homeowners throughout Central Florida to help ensure their roofs are taken care of and they will last as long as possible. To schedule a roof inspection in your area, be sure to contact us at Alan’s Roofing for a free quote today.