The Explorer is the least expensive Victorinox Swiss Army Knife to have a magnifier. You’ll need that fun feature to read your roof warranty. The type is so tiny! What do roof warranties cover, exactly?
Manufacturers’ shingle roof warranties fall into two categories:
- Warrants against manufacturing defects — Offered by nearly every major shingle maker, this basic warranty (a type of specific insurance) gives you financial relief if the manufacturer (companies like Atlas, Malarkey, and industry giant Owens Corning) make your shingles incorrectly and the flaw damages your central Florida home.
- Warrants against workmanship errors — This warranty is available from the very best contractors. Alan’s Roofing gives all customers up to 5 years to advise of workmanship errors.
Warranties are available for other roofing materials such as metal, concrete tile, and low-slope roofing. Since shingles are the most popular roofing material for homes throughout North America, we will look a little further at shingle roof warranties.
Clauses, Sections, and Subsections, Oh My!
Admittedly, a bunch of lawyers got ahold of roof warranties many years ago. Their heavy-handed fingerprints are all over the wording. You benefit from reading your roof warranty, though, to learn about its features:
- Time period — The very best, strongest shingle roof warranties may cover your roof for a full 50 years! These are extended warranties and may cost you a little extra, but is money well spent. Ask your contractor for more information.
- Materials — Most warranties are strongest when all components of one manufacturer are integrated into your roof (ridge vents, starter shingles, field shingles, flashing, drip edge, water and ice shield, etc.)
- Due diligence — The shingle manufacturer will not pay for a neglected roof, so every warranty requires evidence of routine roof maintenance before it will honor a claim for a manufacturing failure
Your roofer can guide you through your roof’s warranty. It is a valuable piece of paper, tiny as the print may be!
Great roofers offer great warranties. Superior residential roofers often warrant their own craftsmanship. These warranties vary by contractor but demonstrate a roofer’s commitment to a quality installation.
Look for roofers who warrant their work and do not rely only on the manufacturer. Do your research; compare at least three roofers, and select:
- The best roofer …
- Using the best materials …
- Backed by the strongest warranty.
Trust your central Florida home to Alan’s Roofing. Contact us today to see all that we can offer for your home’s roofing needs, from residential roof repair, replacement, metal roofing, concrete tile, and shingle roofing.